health & safety

Did you know that we breathe in nearly 3000 gallons of air per day?

With the average person spending 90% of their time indoors,

the quality of our indoor air is vital to our health.  

Could your home be making you sick?

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 8.19.44 AM.png

Let's talk about mycotoxins

WHAT ARE MYCOTOXINS?

Mycotoxins are toxic, secondary compounds that are naturally produced by mold and fungi as it grows and replicates or when disturbed.  They are so tiny that even most HEPA filters are unable to trap and remove them.  For reference, a human hair is 100 microns, a mold spore is between 1-6 microns, and some mycotoxins are as small as 0.1 microns.  Their size allows them to effortlessly travel through the air in your home, through  every crack and crevice, and into your body as you breathe. 

Mycotoxins are chemicals, and thus not alive.  You can't "kill" them with sanitizing sprays.  Even after mold removal or remediation, mycotoxins remain until being carefully removed from your home with specific cleaning protocols.

DO ALL MOLDS PRODUCE MYCOTOXINS?

No, not all molds produce mycotoxins.  Certain species of molds produce more than others, and some not at all.  Unfortunately, many of the molds found in water damaged buildings produce some of the most dangerous. 

 

When we look for the presence of mycotoxins in a home, we are looking for the most toxic mycotoxins produced by 10 of the most toxigenic indoor mold species.

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 9.20.44 AM.png

Knowledge is power.

Refer to our Services page to see how we can test your home for mycotoxins and get you on your way towards safer air.

323419_2200-800x1200.jpg

common signs that
you may be exposed to

toxic mold

Coughing

Sneezing

Sore, itchy throat

Congestion

Runny nose

Sinus headaches

Wheezing

Breathing abnormalities

Itchy, dry, or unusually watery eyes

Irritated or itchy skin

Unexplained rashes

Fatigue

Mood instability

Digestive issues, IBS, or SIBO

Shortness of breath

Slow wound healing

Weakened immune system

Muscle twitching

Feeling inexplicably better

when not at home

Hair loss

Nail ridges

Urinary issues

Nutritional deficiencies

Cracked lips

Bloodshot eyes

Anxiety

Post-exertion malaise

Short term memory issues

Poor word recollection

Vision changes

Tinnitus

Tremors

and more

Mold
Illness
Stats

It is estimated that 50% of all homes and buildings in the United States have enough water damage to cause illness in humans.

At least 24% of the population has a genetic defect (HLA-DR) making them susceptible to a mold illness called Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS.)

The other 76% may also experience a variety of reactions and symptoms related to exposure to toxic, indoor mold. 

 

You don't need to be good at math to see that water damage and the resulting molds can pose a serious threat to your health.

Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS)

                                         According to leading experts in the field of mold illness, 24% of the population contains a genetic                                           defect making them susceptible to a form of mold illness called Chronic Inflammatory Response                                           Syndrome (CIRS.)

                                         Dr. Richie Shoemaker, pioneer in mold illness research and treatment, describes CIRS as a                                                     multi-system, multi-symptom biotoxin illness that can be acquired following exposure to the interior of water damaged buildings.  It is an activation of the innate immune system, which should not be confused with a mold allergy which is an activation of the acquired immune system.  In short, this means that those with CIRS will experience chronic activation of their immune systems, causing systemic inflammation. 

The symptoms of CIRS are vast and varied and depend on which systems in the body have been affected.  Some common symptoms of CIRS include  gastrointestinal issues, respiratory distress, memory and cognitive issues, neurological symptoms such as neuropathies, heightened sensitivity, & mental health issues, weakness, blurred or distorted vision, ice-pick pain, blood shot eyes, joint pain, fatigue (chronic and otherwise,) frequent static shocks, migraines & headaches, trouble regulating body temperature, urinary issues, and much more. 

CIRS is often misdiagnosed for other conditions such as chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, lupus, lyme, the list goes on.  Fortunately, there is treatment available for CIRS, but the issue must be identified and addressed, both environmental and physical.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, also known as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is a disease                                          

characterized by profound and debilitating fatigue, sleep abnormalities, pain, and other symptoms                                          

   exacerbated by physical exertion.  There is currently no cure for CFS/ME, however research in                                          

 this field is advancing and there are some treatments that may provide symptom relief.                                          

New research suggests that there is a link between exposure to specific mycotoxins                                     

released  from toxic molds found in water damaged buildings and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Mold Allergies

In people with mold allergies, contact with mold in their environment causes the immune system to go into overdrive. 

They may experience a variety of symptoms such as sneezing, watery or itchy eyes, dry and flaking skin, stuffy nose, cough, rashes, and more. 

Mold allergies are also linked to respiratory conditions such as asthma.  

Respiratory Issues

Exposure to mold has been linked to respiratory issues such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, and asthma.  Those who already have asthma may have a more difficult time breathing in moldy environments.

Prolonged exposure to certain toxic molds has also been linked to pulmonary diseases such as Aspergillosis, COPD, and more. 

DISCLAIMER

The information contained in these topics is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. It is provided for educational purposes only. You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.

Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Nothing contained in these topics is intended to be used for medical diagnosis or treatment.

Let our team of professionals guide you towards cleaner, safer indoor air today.
CALL NOW to schedule your inspection, testing, and clean air assessment.